|This article has not been revised for the current version (U34-476542). It was last updated for LU-356355. It may contain inaccuracies.|
Carbon Dioxide is a common gas resource. It is exhaled by Duplicants and occurs naturally in almost all Biomes. It is heavier than most other gases and will sink to the lowest elevation if lighter gases are present.
- Carbon Dioxide is considered sterile and in large concentrations will prevent food rot if the food is also kept frozen. Due to ease of handling (tendency to pool in pits) and acquisition (funnel-shaped bases will have a large pool of it at the bottom), it is easily harvested for food storage solutions.
- Dusk Caps and Oxyferns require Carbon Dioxide atmosphere to grow.
- Slicksters breathe Carbon Dioxide and excrete Crude Oil.
- Molten Slicksters breathe Carbon Dioxide and excrete Petroleum.
- Carbon Dioxide can be captured into Polluted Water by:
- Soda Fountain consumes 5 kg of Water and 1 kg of Carbon Dioxide per use. It grants +4 Morale and +1 Science to Duplicants.
- Duplicants breathe out 2 g/s of Carbon Dioxide, or 1.2 kg/cycle.
- Polymer Presses produce Carbon Dioxide at rate of 8.33 g/s, or 5 kg/cycle.
- Gas Range: 25 g/s, or 15 kg/cycle.
- Ethanol Distillers: 166.67 g/s, or 100 kg/cycle.
- Carbon-burning generators output Carbon Dioxide as a by-product:
|Power / CO2 Mass|
|Natural Gas Generator||22.5||13.5||35.56|
- There are two types of Geysers that produce Carbon Dioxide with varying rates:
- Carbon Dioxide Vents, which produce ~100 g/s at 500 °C, which is too hot even for Slicksters.
- Liquid Carbon Dioxide Geysers, which produce ~150 g/s at -55 °C, those are more immediately usable and can be passed along industrial sections to cool them down.
- Rocket's Petroleum Engines and Solid Fuel Thrusters exhausts superheated Carbon Dioxide.
- Meteor Showers bring some Carbon Dioxide with them.
- If cooled below condensation temperature, it can safely be stored away as a liquid or solid.
- Despite creating a sterile environment, Carbon Dioxide does not prevent Compost from working and is perfectly safe for plants. The tendency to pool at the bottom can help to ensure adequate air pressure.
- In early game, to prevent CO2 buildups, many players build 'Carbon pits', where they pool carbon dioxide until they are able to get rid of it with Carbon Skimmers, compress it, vent it into space or otherwise deal with it..