|This article contains outdated information that is inaccurate for the current version. It was last updated for LU-356355. Unreflected changes in the discussed game mechanics are detailed here: EX1-469287 • FA-471618|
Chlorine is a gas found naturally occurring in the map. It is the second highest density gas after Carbon Dioxide at the same temperature. Chlorine is a great deterrent against germs, and the best possible heat insulator among gases.
Chlorine is deadly to all germs including Food Poisoning and Slimelung. Surrounding any storage building with chlorine for a full cycle is a sure way to totally disinfect all contents of said building. A Duplicant traveling through Chlorine will not be cured of any diseases, but the surface germs on them will be subjected to the toxic gas.
- Chlorine is a renewable resource, produced by the Chlorine Gas Vent.
- Bleach Stone in its item state emits Chlorine unless pressurized (for example, by water).
- The Rust Deoxidizer produces chlorine along with its other outputs.
- It can be harvested on rocket missions to renewable Space POIs:
- In Chlorine Clouds at a rate of 135 – 405 kg per cycle.
- In Radioactive Gas Clouds at a rate of 9.1 – 36.4 kg per cycle.
- A Chlorine gas room is great at disinfection and heat insulation.
- It is good for germy slime storage and processing (or any items you want to disinfect). Just remember that it takes a full cycle to destroy all germs.
- While not perfect, it also can serve as early, more-resilient alternative to the Vacuum chamber.
- As an insulator it is slightly worse than Insulated Tile made of Ceramic, however its low density makes it a poor buffer even when pressurized.
- The Ore Scrubber removes germs from objects and it is a way to use chlorine. However, it needs a duplicant operator, who also needs to handle the infected goods.
- The Balm Lily needs to be surrounded by chlorine and does not need any care at all. It has good synergy with Stable of Dreckos, generating infinite renewable Phosphorite.
- Dasha Saltvine requires Chlorine atmosphere and consumes small amounts of it (6 g/s, or 3.6 kg/cycle).
- Gas Grass consumes liquid Chlorine (500 g/cycle).
- Puft Princes and Squeaky Pufts can breathe Chlorine and excrete Bleach Stone, which is consumed by Hand Sanitizers, Hot Tubs, and Waterweed.
- Failing to use excess of Chlorine, you can always pump it out into the void of Space.
- For a time it was believed that deleting Germs consumes Chlorine, which is false.
- This rumor started because Polluted Dirt off-gassed Polluted Oxygen in a one-tile box filled with Chlorine, which results in the deletion of some gas, which was incorrectly interpreted as the consumption of Chlorine. A similar phenomenon can be observed in steam chambers, as elaborated in this forum post.