|This article has not been revised for the current version (U40-494396). It was last updated for LU-356355. It may contain inaccuracies.|
Hydrogen is one of the Resources in the game Oxygen Not Included. It is an unbreathable Gas that is extremely light and will rise above all other gases. This means that it will settle at the top of rooms and other open areas.
- Hydrogen can be found naturally in small quantities in the Caustic and Tide Pool Biome.
- It is produced alongside Oxygen in an Electrolyzer using water and electricity
- Hydrogen Vents produce Hydrogen at various rates during their active states.
- Plug Slugs will produce Hydrogen after consuming metal ores (3kg/cycle/critter).
- It can be harvested on rocket missions to renewable Space POIs:
- In Exploded Gas Giants at a rate of 105 – 280 kg per cycle.
- In Helium Clouds at a rate of 60 – 180 kg per cycle.
In the current build of the game, Hydrogen has several uses:
- It can be burned in the Hydrogen Generator to produce 800 W of power. See Hydrogen Generator#Practicality.
- It can be condensed into Liquid Hydrogen to serve as a rocket fuel for Hydrogen Engine, the most powerful type of rocket-engine. Condensation of Hydrogen requires a dedicated cooling setup using the most advanced materials.
- It can be stockpiled and utilized as heat transfer agent due to its high thermal parameters.
- Dreckos and Glossy Dreckos require spending time in Hydrogen atmosphere to grow their scales of Reed Fiber or Plastic.
- It is one of the best gasses to use with the Thermo Regulator because of its high Specific Heat Capacity, high Thermal Conductivity and the fact that remains in the gas state until extremely low temperatures. That said, for most heat transfer applications the Thermo Aquatuner is more practical.
- Extreme temperatures, where most liquids would boil, would make the use of Hydrogen as a working fluid practical - as do low temperatures where most liquids would freeze. In particular, it can be used instead of Super Coolant in the processing of Sour Gas or production of Liquid Oxygen.
- With the use of Radiant Gas Piping and how Thermal Conductivity works, Hydrogen's low thermal conductivity compared to liquids is not as much of an issue as it appears - however, the solid materials involved still heavily favour Radiant Liquid Piping, as even Aluminum Ore has only a fraction of the thermal conductivity of any Refined Metal. The exception is Steel and Thermium gas pipes, which have the same thermal conductivity as their liquid counterparts but use half as much metal to build.
Hydrogen can be used to power the Anti Entropy Thermo-Nullifier, which produces -80 kDTU/s at the cost of only 10 g/s of Hydrogen. Venting extra hydrogen into the cold biome and then back, or using natural convection, will quickly cool your base.
Locking Wheezeworts in a room with a Hydrogen atmosphere, increases their cooling efficiency.