|This article contains outdated information that is inaccurate for the current version. It was last updated for AP-398142. Unreflected changes in the discussed game mechanics are detailed here: AP-419840 • U33-473720|
Light can also be converted into power using Solar Panels, and some plants (Bristle Blossom and Gas Grass) need illumination to grow (while the Dusk Cap needs darkness and doesn't grow when exposed to light).
Use the Light Overlay to see which tiles are lit at any time. "Dim" light is sufficient to provide the "Lit Workspace" work speed bonus.
|0||Pitch Black||Lit Workspace status removed|
|<1000||Dim||Lit Workspace status set|
|<50000||Bright||Above 40000 Lux: Bright and Cheerful status for Duplicants
Beach Chair morale bonus
|<100000||Brilliant||Above 72000 Lux: Intensely Bright status for Duplicants and Sunburn|
- Floor Lamps, Ceiling Lamps, and Sun Lamps can be used to create light using electricity.
- The Printing Pod provides a large amount of light.
- Shine Bugs produce light.
- Natural sunlight can be found in the Space Biome.
Sunlight shines down from the top of the world. Unlike other light sources, which either have a circular or a cone shape, and lose their intensity with distance from the lightsource, the sun's light travels downwards indefinitely, if not absorbed by some element. An element's effective absorption () is its potential absorption factor () multiplied by its mass () / 1000 g for gasses, kg for liquids (maximum 1). The resulting percent of absorbed light is relative to the base intensity of the sunlight (), not the intensity of the light present in the cell (). Hence, shaded light doesn't just approach 0 intensity, but can quickly turn pitch black.
The actual proportion of unabsorbed light is on average around 0.2% lower than what the above calulations would suggest. This is in most part due to the fact that the game maps the light exposure percentage (1 - the sum of the effective absorption of all cells above) to an integer between 0 and 255, truncating the decimals, and in lesser part because of floating point conversion errors result in slightly off values in the elements' potential light absorption factors ().
The intensity of sunlight gradually changes by time of day. During 12.5% of the cycle (during night) the intensity is 0. In the remaining 87.5%, it follows a sine wave with a half-period of 0.875 cycles and a maximum of 80000 Lux.
- Algae Terrariums gain a minor efficiency bonus in direct light.
- Printing Pod has a large light source, making it a good area for recreational building in the early game.
- Mess Table, Lavatory, and Sink count as workspaces and benefit from the Lit Workspace speed bonus.
- Light interferes with Duplicant's sleep, so lights near Cots will negatively affect their stamina recovery. Dupes will attempt to sleep in unlit areas if they pass out on the floor. Loud Sleepers are the exception, they are too busy snoring to care about light.
- Sunlight causes Sunburn if duplicates are exposed to it for too long.
- Window Tiles and Pneumatic Doors allow light to pass through them. (Airlocks and Bunker Doors also allow light through while open)
- Grooming Station and Shearing Station are not counted as workspaces and do not get the Lit Workspace bonus.
All light emitting objects
- Some rooms now require a Light source to be considered a room.
- Duplicants work 15% faster when working in a lit space.
- Loud Sleepers sleep too deeply to be bothered by light while they sleep.
- Duplicants' sleep is disturbed by sleeping in a lit space.