|This article has not been revised for the current version (U34-476542). It was last updated for LU-356355. It may contain inaccuracies.|
Obsidian is a Mineral found in the Barren Biome and Volcanic Biome, and infrequently in the Frozen and Caustic biomes. Maps with any of the Boulders World Traits have Obsidian boulders scattered randomly outside the starting area. It is also found in small amounts blocking Geysers. A Duplicant must learn the Superduperhard Digging skill to dig Obsidian, making it a significant impediment in the early game.
Obsidian abundance can vary significantly depending on world generation. It is most common on worlds with a Boulders World Trait and especially The Badlands Asteroid. Despite this, it has limited applications.
- It does not provide a decor bonus and is therefore inferior to sandstone and granite in regards to decor affecting buildings.
- Most of its value as a construction material can be derived from its low thermal volume, high thermal conductivity, and Thermally Reactive trait, which means it will rapidly heat or cool - encouraging the conduction of heat between areas and substances in contact. It also has a higher melting point than most other natural rocks and metals, making it possible to even build ladders and tiles into magma and contain volcanoes with it, or pipes that are near impossible to melt.
- Marble Block requires 400 kg Granite or Obsidian, and the Monument Base requires 2500 kg of Obsidian besides Steel.
- Rock Crusher can break 100 kg Obsidian into 100 kg of Sand.
- Stone Hatches can eat Obsidian and excrete Coal.
- Shove Voles cannot burrow through tiles made out of Obsidian.
- It possesses together with Igneous Rock the highest Radiation Absorption rate of Raw Minerals.