|This article has not been revised for the current version (EX1-469473). It was last updated for LU-356355. It may contain inaccuracies.|
Polluted Water is the most common naturally occurring liquid on the asteroid, especially in the Swamp Biome. It also fills caves with Polluted Oxygen. Polluted Ice in the Frozen Biomes will also start melting into cold puddles of Polluted Water once they are breached.
Polluted Water creates negative effects if a Duplicant walks or is submerged in it by adding onto their stress. It can be created by Duplicants not reaching a toilet in time, or by stress-vomiting. It can also be created as a by-product of the Algae Distiller, or through certain amenities such as Lavatories and Showers.
Despite being dirty, polluted water is more useful than it seems. It is a better coolant than pure water due to its 40 degrees wider temperature range. Polluted Oxygen emission is not strictly negative, since it can be filtered into pure oxygen. Polluted water can irrigate certain Plants that need it. When put into a Water Sieve, it can be purified into regular water, thus conserving it.
- Polluted Water will emit Polluted Oxygen, even in a vacuum, visualized in-game by a green bubble that rises from the water. The bubble itself will burst and add some polluted oxygen to the atmosphere. Like Slime and Polluted Dirt, it will stop emitting polluted oxygen when the pressure above it reaches 1.8 kg. Specifically, four times a second it has a 0.1% chance of converting 0.1% of the surface cell's mass, up to 1kg; so with a full (1000 kg) surface cell, it will produce approximately 2.4 kg per cycle. However, because of the low probability, the production is not consistent.
- The emission of polluted oxygen is calculated on the first 1000 kg of polluted water. Having less will reduce emission, having more has no effect. So for production of Polluted Oxygen it is better to spread the polluted water tiles out rather then stacking them up.
- Polluted Water in Liquid Reservoirs does not emit any Polluted Oxygen; this may be useful to players who want to store this resource for later use.
- Water Sieves filter Polluted Water into Water.
- Polluted Water can be boiled into Steam. This will also produce a small amount of Dirt (1% mass).
- Pincha Pepper domestic growth requires 35 kg/cycle of Polluted Water.
- Thimble Reed domestic growth requires 160 kg/cycle of Polluted Water.
- Bog Bucket domestic growth requires 40 kg/cycle of Polluted Water.
- Arbor Tree domestic growth requires 70 kg/cycle of Polluted Water.
- It can be used in Fertilizer Synthesizer to produce Fertilizer.
- Gulp Fish can convert Polluted Water into clean Water.
- Duplicants stress-vomiting or not reaching a toilet in time.
- Lavatories, Showers, Wash Basins, and Sinks convert Water into Polluted Water. Lavatories produce slightly more Polluted Water than they consume clean, making them water positive.
- There are two types of Geysers that produce Polluted Water – Polluted Water Vents.
- Carbon Skimmers capture Carbon Dioxide into Water to produce Polluted Water.
- Algae Distillers produce Algae from Slime and produce Polluted Water as a by-product.
- Algae Terrariums produce Oxygen and remove a small amount of Carbon Dioxide while producing Polluted Water as a by-product at the rate of 290.33 g/s.
- Natural Gas Generators produce Polluted Water as a by-product at the rate of 67.5 g/s, or 40.5 kg/cycle, or 11.(851) W/g
- Petroleum Generators produce Polluted Water as a by-product at the rate of 750 g/s, or 450 kg/cycle, or 2.(66) W/g
- Due to its high specific heat capacity and a boiling and freezing range larger than water, brine and Salt Water, it’s a great coolant that can be obtained in the early game.
- Polluted Water can be pumped via Liquid Pump into a Water Sieve and be purified with a filtration medium, turning into pure Water that can be deposited from a Liquid Vent.
- Filtering polluted water does not remove any germs that may be present. The germs will remain in the clean water unless additional steps are taken.
- Most naturally occurring and produced Polluted Water contain no germs and should be kept separated from infected water.
- A Lavatory produces more Polluted Water than by a Duplicant not reaching a toilet in time (Around 6x as much).
- Even if polluted water has Food poisoning germs present in it, if a duplicant becomes submerged in it, they wont have any food poisoning germs present on them.
- RU-284571: Water and Polluted Water now have the same SHC so that the water purifier won't magically cause a loss of energy.
- Polluted Water conversion to Polluted Oxygen is defined in
- To verify, the values can be changed to make it convert more rapidly.