|This article has not been revised for the current version (U40-494396). It was last updated for LU-356355. It may contain inaccuracies.|
Water is one of the most important Resources in the game. Water is necessary for making food and supplying Oxygen, but does not need to be directly consumed by Duplicants for survival (despite its description).
Fresh Water can be obtained by filtering Polluted Water using a Water Sieve, melting Snow or Ice or cooling Steam. It can also be generated by boiling Polluted Water or Salt Water and then collecting and cooling down the steam.
- Desalinator can turn Salt Water and Brine into Water and Salt.
- Steam Turbine and Sauna convert steam into Water.
- Duplicants with the Ugly Crier stress response will produce copious amounts of clean water during their mental break.
- It can be harvested on rocket missions to renewable Space POIs:
- In Helium Clouds at a rate of 240 – 720 kg per cycle.
- In Oxygen Rich Asteroid Fields at a rate of 60 – 200 kg per cycle.
- Pitcher Pump bottles water from open water source to be used in certain buildings.
- Microbe Musher:
- Electrolyzers produce Oxygen and Hydrogen from Water.
- 1 kg/s Water = 888 g/s Oxygen + 112 g/s Hydrogen.
- Algae Terrariums produce Oxygen from Algae and Water.
- Super Computer requires Water for Advanced Research points. Each Advanced Research Point costs 50 kg Water (which must be collected and delivered via bottling).
- This cost is certain; improving the efficiency of research, e.g. speeding it up with illumination or having a Duplicant with high Science attribute, will not change it. Rather, having this Research happen faster also accelerates the consumption of Water.
- Water Cooler - Each use consumes 1 kg Water and grants +1 Morale to Duplicants.
- Espresso Machine - Each use consumes 1 kg Water, 1 kg Pincha Peppernut and grants +4 Morale and +1 Athletics to Duplicants.
- Juicer - Each use consumes 1 kg Water, and 250 g of Mushroom, Bristle Berry, and Meal Lice. It grants +4 morale and +1 strength to Duplicants.
- Soda Fountain - Each use consumes 5 kg of Water and 1 kg of Carbon Dioxide. It grants +4 morale and +1 Science to Duplicants.
- Mechanical Surfboard and Hot Tub utilize water while in use, but do not consume it.
- Lavatory, Shower, Wash Basin and Sink converts Water into germy Polluted Water.
- Carbon Skimmer captures Carbon Dioxide by turning Water into Polluted Water.
- Oil Well requires Water to produce Crude Oil and Natural Gas.
- Inside the Apothecary, Duplicants with Medicine Compounding skill can produce Curative Tablet from Coal and Water.
- 1 kg Coal + 1 kg Water = 1 unit Curative Tablet.
- Too much water in an area can damage tiles with high pressure which can cause flooding or escape of the liquid.
- In most asteroid types, if there is a frozen biome it starts well below the salt water/brine conversion temperature. Piping salt water in is a good way to generate ice from the SW/Brine conversion, as well as cold water/polluted water from the biome's own meltwater. Both the solid and liquid water can then be carried/piped away and used for early game ("Plumbing" is the only required tech) temperature regulation. The brine can be used to create salt or as low-freezing temperature coolant once more advanced technology is researched.